I first fell in love with babywearing with the birth of my first son. There was something so familiar and natural about having him close to my body and nearest to my heart. We continued our love affair with various types of carriers until my son turned 3, and I was pregnant with my second. He was nearing 40 lbs and really didn’t want to be worn for more than a hike anymore. Once my bump started to grow, I knew we were probably done, but I was anxiously looking forward to wearing my second son.
I’d heard about the Baby K’tan when my first son was a bit older, and knew that when this baby arrived I’d like to try it out.
About Baby K’tan:
The Baby K’tan is a completely unique baby carrier. It uses similar carries as the wrap, but needs no wrapping. It has no buckles or clips, and is for babies 8-35lbs. There is an adjustable back support band for a high level of back support, and comes with a sash for added support and safety.
It folds down really small into a small carrying case that easily fits into your diaper bag, and it is machine washable and dryer safe.
Baby D at 3.5 weeks old!
What I love about the Baby K’tan:
Ease of use
This carrier is similar to the style of a wrap without needing to worry about wrapping. It’s a wonderful carrier if you are just beginning your babywearing journey because it is really as simple as putting on a scarf. In fact I know some scarf ties that are harder to get right that the Baby K’tan is. Similarly, for moms who are familiar with babywearing, and even those who have previous wrapping experience will love this carrier because is so quick and easy. With my son being so young, this carrier is currently always in my diaper bag. I love knowing that anywhere, anytime, I can quickly pull out this carrier and have him securely in it in less than a minute.
Variety of carries
- Kangaroo is used for newborn to 4 months
- Hug Carry is for when you baby is able to spread his legs (usually around 2-3 months depending on the baby)
- Adventure, or forward facing is for when your baby has full head control (usually 5+ months). I personally don’t advocate facing your baby forward, but some moms love it, and this is a carrier that can do that.
- Explore carry is again for babies who have full head and body control. While I didn’t have a Baby K’tan with my first son, we often did this carry in a ring sling. It is a great alternative for parents who don’t want to forward face their baby.
- Hip and the Two-Hip carry are other favorites for babies older than 5 months.
Higher Weight Limit
Some stretchy wrap carriers don’t have a high weight limit. as long as you are comfortable you can use this carrier until baby is 35 lbs. Every baby is different, but I couldn’t see wearing my first son in this much past 6 months, he was well over 25lbs at that time and I needed something with a little more structure. I do however look forward to many months of using the K’tan with Baby D!
Price & Variety
In addition to the 100% cotton carriers in several Baby K’tan also offers organic carriers and Breeze (50% mesh 50% cotton for summer and outdoor babywearing!) carriers. Starting at $49.95 it is a carrier that you can buy without breaking the bank and fall in love with babywearing.
What I didn’t like:
My only complaint is that the carrier is very specific to size. Which means that the size carrier you wear is unlikely to be the same size as your husband. With that said even buying two K’tan’s for your family is less expensive than many other carriers you might purchase.
This is a carrier that every new mom should get. It really is so user friendly. This will be a gateway carrier for you if you are new to babywearing. Don’t be surprised if it makes you want to learn more about wearing your sweet child. Moms who already know and love babywearing should add this to their stash for a quick and easy carrier that they can have in their car or diaper bag when you need it. Dads will love the ease of use and the neutral colors offered. Add it to your baby shower wish list today!
What do you love about babywearing?
Latest posts by Emily (Posts)
- Monday Check In + Zucchini Egg Breakfast Muffins - August 22, 2016
- Sweet and Sticky Grilled al fresco Chicken Sausages with Pineapple #grillalfresco - August 9, 2016
- Monday Check In + Berry Kiwi Smoothie Bowl - July 25, 2016
- How to Get Summer Ready Legs in Two Time Saving Steps! - July 18, 2016