Since my recaps of the Whole30 have been so popular I thought I’d share my 21 Day Sugar Detox journey as well! As many of you know I have been trying to go completely Paleo for some time now. I’ve done a couple rounds of the Whole30 and always feel wonderful after completing them. However, I keep slipping back into old habits, and justifying non-paleo, non-gluten free meals/snacks and it’s like a landslide.
If you don’t know what the 21 Day Sugar Detox is or you would like more information check out Diane Sanfilippo‘s book out. It’s called The 21 Day Sugar Detox. The goal is to spend 21 days as close to sugar free as possible. There is also a great Facebook Page that has lots of tips, tricks, and AMAZING support!
These past few months have been hit or miss with my eating, so I decided to give the 21 Day Sugar Detox a go. My sweet tooth is intense, and things that should be sweet and satisfying weren’t anymore. As a result I had put on weight (again), and really wanted to make a change. I’ve heard really good things about the detox and since my diet bet was getting ready to start too, I figured why not! I bought the book on Amazon, and didn’t look back! There are 3 levels (and some modifications) on the 21 Day Sugar Detox. I went with level 3 as it was strict Paleo.
I will do a post on the difference between the 21 Day Sugar Detox and the Whole30 later, but for now I just wanted to share how my journey is going.
I’m not going to lie – I had NO idea that week 1 was going to be THIS HARD! It was a total eye opener as to how dependent my body has been on sugar. Maybe if I was eating better prior to the challenge this wouldn’t have been such a hard week, but I got through it, and I can say Day 7-8 were A LOT better!
21 Day Sugar Detox Week 1!
- Breakfast: Coconut milk, spinach, 1/2 avocado, green tipped banana, almond butter. (My smoothie didn’t taste very good but it was very filling – I will make some modifications next time.)
- Lunch: Bacon, chicken, olives, cucumber, tomato, avocado oil, 1/2 avocado, with flavorgod everything seasoning.
- Dinner: Chicken sausage, 2 eggs, broccoli, mushroom, onions.
First day headache showed up. I was feeling very flu-ish too. Dang Carb Flu!
- Breakfast: Leftover dinner + 2 eggs.
- Lunch: 21 Day Sugar Detox Ba-Nola (Recipe in 21 Day Sugar Detox Cookbook – Totally worth the purchase).
- Dinner: Since lunch was small and quick… 2 turkey burgers, bacon, onions, mushrooms, avocado, tomatoes, mustard flavorgod garlic lovers seasoning.
Massive headache all day today. Finally drank some warm water with Young Living Peppermint oil in it, and that helped a lot!
- Breakfast: Smoothie-Coconut milk, 1/2 avocado, 1 green tipped banana, cinnamon.
- Lunch: left over Asian ground beef with 2 eggs.
- Dinner: Salad-romaine lettuce, celery, cucumber, tomato, olive, broccoli, and avocado dressing. Chicken with puréed tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil. Feeling munchie…
Still have my headache. Woke up hungry, forgot to take a picture of breakfast. Also experiencing so weird joint pain. Unsure if it’s related. Crazy how dependent we become on sugar!!
- Breakfast: Banola.
- Lunch: Uncured bacon, leftover salad from last night, tuna, and my favorite easy to make creamy avocado dressing.
- Dinner: Egg scramble with bacon, mushrooms, onions, carrots. (Aka in didn’t get to the grocery store…) and sautéed spinach.
Headache seems to be gone, but fought some tummy troubles today. Started using BurBur herbal detox per the recommendation of a friend. She said that when you cut sugar you are also killing all the candida (aka yeast) in your body and it can be really hard. It’s just 10 drops in 4oz of water. Seemed to help!!
- Breakfast: Uncured bacon, green juice/smoothie (green apple, full cucumber, spinach, coconut water).
- Lunch: really didn’t want to eat because of my stomach… Leftover turkey burger with carrots (ate them pre-pic sorry!), and guacamole.
- Dinner: keeping it simple. I’m wiped! Chicken breast, leftover salad (topped with evoo and Trader Joes 21 season salute) green beans with ghee and Flavorgod garlic lovers.
Finally feeling GOOD – using the burbur herbal detox (see day 5) 3 times a day.
- Breakfast: monkey salad… Green tipped banana, unsweetened coconut flakes, and almond butter.
- Lunch: the best salad EVER! Totally hit the spot! Romaine, tomatoes, broccoli, cucumber, bacon, hard boiled eggs, and a dressing made with mustard, evoo, apple cider vinegar, and Flavorgod garlic lovers seasoning.
- Dinner: Romaine, bean sprouts, evoo, tomatoes, onions, grilled steak, topped with guacamole.
One Week Done! Feeling SO much better than I did in the beginning.
- Breakfast: spinach, 1/2 avocado, cinnamon, banana, and coconut milk.
- Lunch: Spent the day at comic con, so I was happy I packed this! Turkey slices, 1/2 avocado, cup of black olives, almonds/cashews, and carrots. Drank peppermint water with it.
- Dinner: Steak and peppers, with apple cider vinegar, fish sauce, and coconut aminos.
My Thoughts on the 21 Day Sugar Detox Week 1?
Like I said before, I had no idea how my body would feel detoxing. I’d done Whole30 before, but this was something new to me. I’m hoping to reset my sweet tooth so I can make better choices. I wish I had done a little bit more meal planning – there were a few times that I had to go to the store if I wanted to stay on plan.
Also more meal prep – hardboiled eggs, pre-made salad, maybe even 21 Day Sugar Detox approved smoothies prepped ahead and frozen. I bake my bacon all at once, so that wasn’t so bad. I also wish I would have bought the cookbook at the same time I bought the “instructions/about/guide” book. There are recipes in the main book, but I struggled to find 21DSD approved recipes online like I would do with the Whole30.
As far as my family goes…My husband has been out of town for work for the majority of my detox so far. I have found that to be very helpful. No tempting foods in the house. That said – when he is home he loves all my Paleo cooking, it would be interesting to see if he liked this. My son is eating the dinners I cook with a few added items like yogurt or fruit.
Overall I’m feeling good and really proud of myself to be sticking this out. I’m also doing T25 and running at the YMCA depending on my day and the kids. Plus as a bonus I’m down 4.5 lbs!
Follow me via Instagram to see what I’m eating daily instead of waiting for the recaps!
Have you done the 21 Day Sugar Detox?
What was your favorite meal?
Recommended Reading & Products:
These are affiliate links as are some of the links above. I don’t recommend what I don’t personally use. If you do buy via these links I get a very small percentage back.
Latest posts by Emily (Posts)
- Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood Live at The Smith Center - October 17, 2016
- 3 Reasons To Love Our Local Las Vegas Chuck E. Cheese’s Restaurant! - October 13, 2016
- Mini Pumpkin Cupcakes #MixUpAMoment - October 6, 2016
- JJ Cole Satchel Diaper Bag Review - September 29, 2016